Apprentice Wheel

1RS Roots

sparks




THE ROOTS OF No.1 RADIO SCHOOL

1916

School for training wireless operators formed at Farnborough, Hants by the Royal Flying Corps.

 

 

April 1918

The first contingent of RAF (Boys) moved from RAF Halton (Wendover, Bucks.) to RAF Cranwell (Sleaford, Lincolnshire) as "The Boys Wing" to be trained as Fitter Aero Engine, Fitter Jig & Tool, Carpenter Rigger, Draughtsman, Rigger Aero, Fitter Armourer, Fitter Driver Petrol, Blacksmith, Turner, Coppersmith, or Coach Motor & Body Builder.

 

 

November 1918

Wireless Operator School transferred to the RAF.

 

 

1919

Wireless Operator School moved to Flowerdown and re-titled No.1 (T) Wireless School.

 

 

July 1919

No.1 (T) Wireless School renamed to Electrical & Wireless School.

 

 

October 1919

The School of Technical Training (Boys) was formed at RAF Halton

 

 

March 1920

The School of Technical Training (Boys) at RAF Halton was renamed No.1 School of Technical Training (Boys), and the Boys Wing RAF Cranwell was renamed No.2 School of Technical Training. The numbering of Boy Mechanic/Aircraft Apprentice Entries commenced at this time.

 

 

April 1921

No.2 School of Technical Training at RAF Cranwell reverted to The Boys Wing.

 

 

January 1922

Lord Trenchard created Aircraft Apprenticeships for Boy Mechanics. Apprenticeships began at the Electrical Wireless School RAF Flowerdown, Hants; the majority were trained as Wireless Operator Mechanics, the remainder as Electricians or Instrument Makers.

 

 

October 1925

The Boys Wing RAF Cranwell renamed as No.4 (Apprentice) Wing.

 

 

July 1926

No.4 (Apprentice) Wing moved to No.1 School of Technical Training at RAF Halton. Apprentice training ceased at Cranwell until August 1929.

 

 

August 1929

The Electrical & Wireless School moved from RAF Flowerdown to RAF Cranwell.

 

 

1934

Boy Entrant training at the Electrical & Wireless School commenced in the trade of Wireless Operator.

 

 

October 1935

The Electrical & Wireless School at RAF Cranwell was divided into 2 Wings.   
No.1 Wing trained airmen as Electricians, Clerks, Plotters and Telephonists.
No.2 Wing trained :
     a.    Officers.
     b.    Apprentices as Wireless Operator Mechanics.
            Wireless Electrical Mechanics or Instrument Makers,
     c.    Boy Entrants as Wireless Operators.
     d.    Tradesmen on Refresher/Conversion courses.

 

 

November 1938

The Electrical & Wireless School became No 1 Electrical & Wireless School.

 

 

August 1940

No.1 Electrical & Wireless School became No.1 Signals School.

 

 

August 1940

Instrument Maker training transferred to No.1 School of Technical Training RAF Halton.

 

 

March 1941

No.1 Radio School (teaching radar) formed at RAF Cranwell.

 

 

January 1943

No.1 Radio School retitled No.8 Radio School and No.1 Signals School renamed No.1 Radio School.

 

 

January 1950

The title, No.1 Radio School, moved to RAF Locking (Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset) but apprentice training continued at RAF Cranwell as No.6 Radio School.

 

 

November 1952

Apprentices of No.6 Radio School moved to No.1 Radio School at RAF Locking to complete their training.

 

 

1964

Last entry of Aircraft Apprentices commenced training at No.1 Radio School. The first entry of Craft Apprentices commenced training in September 1964 followed by the first Technician Apprentices entry who commenced training in October 1964

 

 

1965

Air Electronics trade training moved to RAF Cosford. No.1 Radio School became responsible for ground electronics trade training.

 

 

1966

The last entry of Aircraft Apprentices completed training at RAF Locking.

 

 

1970

The first entry of Mechanic Apprentices commenced training.

 

 

1976

End of all Ground Electronic Apprentice training. No.1 Radio School assumed responsibility for training the Electronic Technicians Synthetic Trainer.

 

 

1978

Reorganisation of the ground electronics trade group resulting in three sub-specialisations - Airfields, Air Defence and Telecommunications.

 

 

1985

YTS training commenced. Synthetic Trainer moved to No.2 School of Technical Training at RAF Cosford.

 

 

1987

Introduction of Trade Management Training for Trade Group 3 personnel.

 

 

1988-1989

Trade Group 11 training transferred progressively to No.1 Radio School from No.2 School of Technical Training.

 

 

1993

Amalgamation of the three specialisations of Airfields, Air Defence and Telecommunications into a single, multi-skilled Ground Electronics trade, with a new single-gate entry.

 

 

1st April 1999

Move from RAF Locking into Flowerdown Hall, RAF Cosford. Disbandment of No.1 Radio School.

 

 

2nd April 2003

Re-formation of No.1 Radio School on the occasion of its 60th Anniversary at RAF Cosford.